One way in which we are supported by our friends is through word-of-mouth recommendations to those looking to part with or downsize their libraries. We have had the great fortune of purchasing books from a number of great scholars who were downsizing this year, in addition to creaming the crop of a few great institutional libraries. We are honored to see our shelves entrusted with the best stock we have ever had. I’m delighted to say as well that in a few weeks I will be heading down to Los Angeles to purchase what may be the finest collection of books we have ever dealt––a 14,000 book library that was very carefully curated with fine hardcovers of the best books in philosophy, theology, American religious history, and the humanities, seeded with loads of first editions, signed copies, and fine press editions. I am excited to share more with you as we process this collection!
A few highlights from the year:
– We made our pricing shed “safe for books” with drywall and heat!
– We installed a new forced-air HVAC system, replacing a system with a gas shop heater and wall-AC that worked fine when the shop was a grocery store but was woefully inadequate to the task of climatizing a shop full of floor-to-ceiling bookcases.
– We stumbled into 20 beautiful birch-wood bookcases that we used to finish out our front room and add a center aisle of additional $5 books.
– We shipped out 16,000 books from a book dealer in Virginia, had nowhere to put them, so we bought a shipping container. It is a lovely shade of gray and really ties the back yard together!
– We held a massive weekend sidewalk sale in July, saving thousands of books from the pulper and giving them happy homes $1-2 each and eventually pushing them on folks at $5/bag!
– We greatly expanded our book-nook up at Cathedral Coffee in Scappoose!
– We had a lovely cookout and poetry reading with our friend and officemate Karl Koppock!
– We were treated to a beautiful solo guitar show by Sam Rocha.
– We welcomed the publication of some truly wonderful books. I thought 2017 was an amazing year, but I think 2018 might have been my favorite year on record. I am truly in awe of the wonderful and brilliant people blessing us with such amazing books. I am truly thankful.
We are looking forward to another great year buying and selling great used books from and for all of you. As a token of our gratitude, and your reward for reading this far, we welcome you to take 30% off any book in stock!
Oh, one more thing! Telly the Book Cat has been a sweet companion for the past 6 months here, but he needs to move on to a new home, as the bookshop is not a permanent solution for various reasons. If you or anyone you know might be interested in adopting him, please reach out!